POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Script language speed : Re: Script language speed Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Script language speed
Date: 10 Nov 2001 17:34:01
Message: <3beda714.170951229@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 00:09:05 -0800, "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>>   Firstly, the main reason is that the POV-Ray scripting language is an
>> _interpreted_ language. This makes comparison with _compiled_ languages
>> (eg. C++) very unfair.
>
>Hmm... I wonder if we could make a POV-Ray "compiler"?  As in, it would
>parse your scene, and then create an executable which would render that
>scene (and that scene only) at a resolution specified on the command line?

Hmm, IIRC OORT did something like that. It's fairly straightforward to
call POV-Ray code directly for a hard-coded scene thus by-passing the
parser. OTOH the render speed would be identical and you would have to
add time for compile & link, thus no net gain.

/Erkki